The Town of Jocotepec
Jocotepec is a town around the Chapala Lake that gets many visits from people including Guadalajara and surrounding areas because of its very popular foods. A dish made with goat called “birria” is very popular and also a pomegranate punch and handmade ice cream (nieve de garrafa). Jocotepec has a large market area with more than 50 stores. Additionally, it has 2 tianguis, 40 restaurants, 2 parks, a big square, a very large Malecon with vendors, private clinics, 2 very well-equipped hospitals, etc. “Joco” (called by locals) is a quiet place and inexpensive to live. It has fresh products like fruits and vegetables and meat and good medical care with friendly people and nice weather. Jocotepec is a very nice traditional Mexican town. The low taxes (predial) include street lightning, city sewers, the market, parking, garbage collection, roads, parks and surveillance.
What does the name Jocotepec Mean?
The word Jocotepec comes from the word Xolotepec that means “Place of citrus fruits”
Part of the Cienega region of Jalisco state, Jocotepec is located about 40 minutes West of Ajijic.
Counties or Neighborhoods in Joctepec:
- San Juan Cosalá
- Chantepec (El Chante)
- San Pedro Tesistán
- San Cristóbal Zapotitlán
- Zapotitán de Hidalgo
- El Molino.
- Farming (big berry producer)
It is warm and moderate with an average temperature of 20 °C (68°F) and average high’s of 25°C (77 °F) and average low’s of 13°C (55°F).
Location in Relation to Lake Chapala
“Joco” is located on the western shores of Lake Chapala and has approximately 29 km. of shoreline.
Population of Jocotepec
Jocotepec has approximately 46,000 inhabitants.
Places of Interest and Tourist Attractions
- Malecon – considered the prettiest of the lake side with boats that navigate thru the lake with a beautiful park where families gather to enjoy outdoor grilling.
- Mirador – (lookout) is located on the road that crosses the mountain “Cerro Viejo “-which is the highest mountain of the lake side.
- Square – go and enjoy Jocotepec´s famous handmade ice cream (nieve de garrafa) and many other foods.
- Church- Templo del Señor del Monte– precious quarry church build in the century XIX.
- El Chante Spa– is equipped with a beauty salon, restaurant, boutique, business salon and events room.
It is celebrated in January in honor to the Saint Señor del Monte. The fiesta is a very fun and colorful celebration around the square with mariachis music and bands while in the kiosk are traditional dances and varieties of music. Also, you can find many vendors with food, clothes, dishes, ornaments, etc. Every night they do a fireworks display and parades with pre-hispanic dances and floats. This festivity is the best of lakeside.
Festival de Día de Muertos (day of the dead)
Festival “La muerte también baila” (the death also dances) is a colorful celebration full of dances, music, costumes and themes about this important day. Also, it includes the traditional parade organized by the students of the high school Preparatoria Regional de Jocotepec.
Celebrated every year in September, it is called “La polla” (the chicken), named like that because in the old times the winner had to unearth a buried chicken.
Subdivisions and Condo Communities
- El Raquet Club
- Senderos del Lago
- Rancho San Jorge
- Las Fuentes
Internet, Cable and Telephone Services
Internet – good coverage and speedprovidedby the companies:
- Telmex– Address: Carretera Chapala – Jocotepec Ote. 113, Ajijic, Jal.
Hours 8:00 am- 4:30 pm.
- Telecable – Address: Privada Josefa Ortiz de Domínguez Nte. 15.
- Hours – 10:00 am- 2:00 pm y de 3:00 pm- 6:30 pm
Telephone: Service provided by the companies:
- Telmex – Address: Carretera Chapala – Jocotepec Ote. 113, Ajijic, Jal.
Hours 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Telcel – Address: Carretera Jocotepec – Chapala 206, local 2.
Hours 10:00 am – 8:00 pm.
Potable Water and Sewer System
Water service – is good throughout the year and comes from municipal wells but in the driest months it can be limited. Many homes have an aljibe o cistern.
Sewer system – isprovided and maintained by the city.
Address- Morelos Ote 117. Tel 01 387 763 0076.
Hours 9:00 am- 3:00 pm.
Provided by Comisión Federal de Electricidad (CFE).
Address: Hidalgo Sur 202.
Servicios Médicos Municipales – Matamoros Sur 330. Tel 01 387 763 1920.
IMSS Clínica 58 del Seguro Social – Donato Guerra 97. Tel 01 387 763.
Clínica María Auxiliadora – Morelos 149. Tel 01 387 763 1088
Hotels in Jocotepec
- Hotel Real del Monte – José Santana Pte 55. Tel 01 387 763 1580
- Hotel las Palomas de la Riviera – Miguel Arana 253. Tel 01 387 763 0008
- Posada del Pescador – Miguel Arana 611. Tel 01 387 763 0028
- Roca Azul – Km. 53 Carretera Guadalajara- Morelia. Tel 01 33 1409 8161
- El Chante Spa Hotel – Ribera del Lago 170-1, Chantepec Jal. Tel 01 387 763 2608
- Quinta San Carlos – Pino Suárez 1, San Pedro Tesistán. Tel 01 387 763 5023
Restaurants in Jocotepec
- Birrieria “El Tartamudo”- Allende 39. Tel 01 667 134 0923
- La Carreta – Hidalgo Eje Sur 71. Tel 01 387 763 0050
- El Rincón de Frida – Miguel Arana 339. Tel 01 387 763 2801
- Mariscos Rene (seafood) – Miguel Arana 441. Tel 01 33 1048 8351
- El Quinto Asador – Juárez Ote 21. Tel 01 387 763 1861
- Drink and Fly (wings, ribs and beer) – Morelos 115. Tel 01 387 763 3061